The No Bullsh%t Guide To Bodybuilding : How To Build Muscle
Building muscle isn’t as simple as throwing up a few sets and hoping for the best gains…
At least not if you want to have a built body that demands attention and become the beast that you are.
Before you start lifting weights, you need to understand how you can design yourself a program and figure out your goals.
It’s essential to know what you’ll do before you go into any workout or you’ll find yourself wasting time wondering what you should do next.
You also need to know what you should eat and the correct way to lift weights without injuring yourself.
And that doesn’t even touch on lifting tempo’s, repetitions, number of sets, whole body workouts or splits, and how often you should workout.
By knowing all of these things BEFORE you start working out you’ll be able to decide on everything without wasting time or money on the wrong things like supplements and unnecessary gym expenses.
You can start doing the right things right on the first day of lifting, avoid injuries and put yourself in a position to gain muscle as efficiently as possible.
All of this will be taught here, in the Ultimate Guide to Bodybuilding.
3. Should you workout at home or at the gym?
Bodyweight training vs home gym vs regular gym vs expensive gym
A common misconception about building muscle is that you need the most expensive gym equipment to make the most possible high end gains. There’s lots of ways to build muscle and gyms are just one of the options.
The only option you should give yourself is a way to challenge yourself continually so your body doesn’t get comfortable at its current state as you should always progressively overload your muscles for the best results but in case you want a second opinion check the resources below….
- How To Make A Workout Plan
- Advanced And Disadvantages Of Working Out From Home
- What's An Effective Bodyweight Workout?
- The Ultimate Bodyweight Workout Routine
- Important Principals Of Bodyweight Training
- Can You Get Huge With Home Workouts?
- Gym Or Home Workout?
- How To Build Muscle At Home
- Secret Benefit Of Bodyweight Training
4. How to make homemade gym equipment
Gym equipment can be expensive and there is no reason why you should be paying hundreds when you do it yourself for next to nothing.
You can make your own home gym out of wood, nails and a couple of other things. You would be surprised how strong wood can be when it’s properly structured.
5. What’s the best way to accomplish goals and continually progress?
Choosing the appropriate goals that are challenging but yet realistic for you to accomplish is an important part of the bodybuilding process.
You’ll learn how you can set goals, keep track and continually make progress so you can always find yourself gaining more mass than you could ever imagine.
- Time Management For Success In Bodybuilding And Life
- 7 Keys To Goal Settings
- This Simple Trick Makes Achieving Goals Easy
- A Realistic Look At Goal Settings: Muscle Gain
- The Simple Science Of Effective And Ineffective Goal Setting
- Goal Setting For Achieving Your Bodybuilding Goals
- Visualization Applications For Bodybuilding
- How To Achieve Your Goals
You make a lot more progress if you don't post your workouts on Facebook. Write it down and just lift!
6. What's the best diet for muscle growth?
Eating to gain muscle is made to look simple with all of the “guru’s” telling you to “just eat, stuff yourself, go monster and eat for crying out loud”. You have to get your diet right or you’ll set yourself up for failure as diet is super important.
You’ll learn the basics of what you should eat and what your meals should look like.
- How To Build Muscle On A Vegan Diet
- Paraworkout Nutrition: What To Eat, When To Eat It
- 15 Nutrition Tips From John Romaniello
- 25 Best Muscle Building Foods
- 5 Plant Based Foods That Will Help Build Muscle
- The Skinny Vegans Guide To Gaining Muscle
- The Ultimate Diet & Nutrition Guide Is Here
- Nutrition - The Simple Beginners Guide To Strength And Muscle Building
- Bodybuilding Nutrition: The Worlds Most Balanced Nutrition Plan
8. How many calories should you consume?
Calorie counting is one of the biggest concerns for lifters who are skinny and if you get stressed about your calorie intake it could set back your progress drastically.
Take your diet seriously but counting calories may just be a waste of time for you. If you want a second opinion check these resources out so you can maximize your diet for the best results.
Every pound of muscle gained, is another 50 calories burned daily. #musclegain
9. What should meal frequency and timing look like?
You’ve been told that you should consume 6 to 8 meals a deal or else you’ll miss out on some gains. Well there’s some truth to that but mostly not. Nothing has been proven about meal frequency other than that you need food for your muscles to grow.
These resources will help you decide on how often you should eat and the real truth about meal timing.
Meal frequency has NO effect on metabolism.
10. How much protein, carbs, fats and fiber do you need?
Everyone knows that bodybuilders love protein, but carbs, fats and fiber are equally essential for any serious lifter as the human body needs everything to optimize muscle growth and gains.
I personally recommend that you consume whole meals that have a balance of all macros and you don’t limit yourself from any vegetable or fruit. These resources below you’ll find out what is the right macros for you.
- Macronutrient Breakdown, Part 1
- Roman's Rules For Macronutrient Combination
- The Definitive Guide To Carb Cycling
- Simplify Your Macro Counting
- The Myth Of 1g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake For Bodybuilders
- How Much Protein Per Day?
- How Much Protein Do I Need To Build Muscle?
- The Definitive Guide To The "If It Fits Your Macros" Diet
- Macronutrient Ratio For Lean Muscle Growth
- How To count Your Macros (A Comprehensive Guide)
11. How to minimize fat gain
Your gains don’t have to be covered in fat and neither does your belly.
A bodybuilder is not a lifestyle of monster eating until you get fat and look pregnant. Sometimes eating more isn’t the answer. While you can’t look shredded with an extremely low body fat all year long, you can at least look ripped with minimal fat gains.
You’ll learn how to make muscle gains while minimizing fat
- How To Build Muscle Without Fat
- How To Bulk Without Getting Fat (Video)
- Clean Eating Is A Scam And Why You Should Abandon It
- How To Get Big Without Getting Fat
- Bulking Up And Gaining Muscle
- The Best Way To Gain Muscle Without Getting Fat
- The Infamous Clean Bulk - How To Gain Muscle Without Looking Like A Poster Boy For Kripsy Kreme
- From NovemBeard To DecemBulk (Video)
- The Ultimate Bulking Guide
- Should You Do A Dirty Bulk?
12. What are common diet mistakes and myths
Mistakes are bound to happen; it’s just part of the learning process. Most people don’t learn from their mistakes. By minimizing mistakes you can make the most out of your time and the hard effort that you put into your diet.
Discover how the common mistakes that are made to diets, make the most out of your gains and dispel the myths that surround food.
13. How to structure your program and workouts for the best results?
Make your own programs, choose your own exercises, and instantly learn how you should structure your workouts.
Most bodybuilders decide to straight up take a program or a workout they read in a magazine or online and wonder why they aren’t making any gains or even worse, why they feel overtrained.
This is NOT how you should go about bodybuilding.
You’ll learn how to make workouts that work for you and look like you know what you’re doing right from the beginning.
- 5 Muscle Building Mistakes (And How To Make Gains)
- 10 Workout Hacks For Building Muscle
- Bodybuilding Workouts Suck For Building Muscle!
- How To Structure Workout Routines
- How To Structure Your Workouts
- How To Choose A Bodybuilding Routine - Beginner's Guide
- How To Design An Effective Workout Routine
- How To Build Your Own Workout Routine
- How To Construct Your Own Workout Routine
- Fill In The Blanks Workout Routine
- How To Design Your Own Specialization Program
14. What is progressive overload?
This is where most people go wrong. Without progressive overload you have nothing to gain from and you can do everything else right but still fail because your body needs a reason to grow.
Progressive overload is a key principal so don’t underestimate it.
You’ll understand how to progress through your workouts, constantly hit new personal records and learn how you can keep making gains through progressive overload.
15. How often should you workout?
Workout too often and you could stop making progress. Workout too little, and you’ll just take forever to gain some serious muscle mass.
Understanding how often you should workout can make or break your progress. You should know when to cut down on training or when you should add more workout sessions.
16. How intense and should you go to failure?
Failure is a heavily debated topic in the bodybuilding world. There’s really no straight answer as you search around so it’s always going to be asked.
I personally take some of my sets to failure. I feel like I get much more out of my workout but I also enjoy the intensity of it. Failing brings promotes more of a self-awareness of what my abilities are and how far I can push myself both mentally and physically.
These resources will help you decide which sets to take to failure, or if it’s even something you should be doing.
17. How much volume should your workout have?
As with failure, there’s really no straight answer as it depends on the other factors of your workout such as intensity and workout level.
When you’re just starting out you’ll want to do at least 3 to 4 sets per exercise so you can practice the form without rushing through. You’ll learn here on how you can have the right amount of volume that is right for YOU (not anyone else) and how to determine the volume for each workout.
- Strong Science: Research On The Ideal Rep Range & Sets To Maximize Sets
- Volume Vs. High Intensity: Which Style Of Training Is Best For Growth?
- High Volume Train Vs Low Volume Training For Optimal Growth
- High Intensity Versus High Volume
- What Is More Effective For Building Muscle Mass: Intensity Or Volume?
18. How long should you rest between sets?
Recovery between sets is crucial for optimal energy for your next set. These resources will teach you how you should determine the rest between sets.
19. What Are The Best Exercises For Muscle Building?
Beginners should incorporate some full body exercises but in case you were wondering what the best exercises are for each muscle, here are some resources that will teach you just that.
- Back To Basics - Time Tested Muscle Building Exercises
- 13 Killer Back Exercises To Chisel Out A Defined, V-Shaped, Undulating Back
- Top 10 Back Exercises
- The Ultimate Back Workout: The Best Back Exercises For A Thick, Wide Back
- The 7 Best Shoulder Exercises For A Badass Physique
- The Ultimate Shoulder Workout Guide: Best Exercises For Huge Shoulders
- Upper Pec And Lower Pec Chest Exercises For Mass
- The 13 Best Chest Exercises To Pummel Your Pecs And Build An Iron-Clad Chest
- The Top 5 Exercises For Increasing Bicep Mass
- The 5 Best Bicep Exercises
- 4 Best Mass Building Exercises For Triceps
- The Top 5 Exercises For Increasing Triceps Mass
- The Top 5 Exercises For Increasing Calf Mass
- The 5 Best Leg Exercises For Building Mass
- Leg Exercises - Best Thigh Exercises To Build Muscle & Tone
- Leg (Quad, Hamstring, And Calves) Exercises
- The Best Exercises For Huge Legs
- 5 Exercises To Work Your Abs To Exhaustion
- Forget Crunches: How To Actually Strengthen Your Core
- Grip Strength: Unlocking Hidden Potential
20. Why My Muscles Stopped Growing?
It’s common to hear the complaint of something that isn’t growing. Sometimes focusing on that particular muscle is the wrong answer.
I’ve made the mistake of focusing too much on chest and biceps as I started bodybuilding. Muscle imbalances can really limit or even stop muscle growth.
Here are some resources that you’ll learn on how you can fix those common issue’s and keep each muscle growing and balanced.
- Boulder Shoulders: Creativity & Intensity Are The Keys To Building Bigger Delts
- Why Did My Muscles Stop Growing?
- 6 Reasons You're Not Making Progress
- 10 Common Bodybuilding Mistakes That Grind Progress To A Halt
- Workout Plateau - How To Break Through When Strength Gains Stall
- 8 Proven Ways To Break Through Weightlifting Plateau's
- 5 Reasons You've Stopped Making Progress In Your Workouts
- 4 Reasons Why You're Not Making Progress
21. Advanced Techniques For Blasting Plateau's And Muscle Growth
There are tons of techniques you can do to make your workouts more intense, challenging or just more fun. Step out of your zone by trying any of these techniques…
HOT TIP: Some techniques will drain you much faster and harder than others – use them but listen to your body.
- Pyramid Sets Vs Reverse Pyramid Training Vs Straight Sets
- The Ultimate Guide To Dropsets: How To Use The Best High Intensity Techniques Of All Time
- 5 Tips For Bigger Biceps
- Methods To Stimulate New Muscle Growth
- The 16 Most Advanced Intensity Building Techniques
- Bicep And Triceps Exercises: Advanced Arm Training
- Advanced Hypertrophy Techniques For Increased Muscle Growth
- Advanced Weight Training Techniques
22. How To Workout Without A Spotter
A spotter can be extremely useful when we put ourselves at risk under heavy weights but they aren’t always an option. I’ve never depended on a spotter though I do ask for help when I find it necessary.
Bench pressing with dumbbells and using special techniques to make your workouts more challenging are always an option. Learn from these resources on how you can progress without a spotter.
HOT TIP: If you go to a gym with a power rack, you can use the safety poles to catch the weight if it was to fall from you whether for squats or bench press.
23. How To Avoid Injuries
Injuries can mess everything up. Some injuries never go away while some have signs before they happen. Understanding your body and how you can avoid these injuries can set you up for lifting that is not only enjoyable but pain free.
- 8 Ways To Avoid Common Shoulder Injuries
- 10 Commandments For Avoiding Injury In The Weight Room
- Preventing Injuries During Bodybuilding
- Elbow Pain: 17 Ways To Prevent Elbow Pain Caused By Weight Lifting
- A Bodybuilder's Guide To Injury Prevention
- The Insider's Tell-All Handbook On Weight-Training Technique
- The Complete Guide To Bodybuilding Injury Prevention
- 5 Rules To Find Your Perfect Warm-Up Weight
- How To Warm Up For Bench Press, Squats, And Deadlifts
- Avoid Shoulder Injury By Strengthening The Rotator Cuff
- How To Improve Shoulder Flexibility And Mobility
- A Guide To Common Knee Injuries
- Bodybuilding Legend Says Lifting Weights Will Make You "Injury-Bound"
- You're Not Actually Strong Enough To Bench
- Avoiding A Bench Press Blowout: Rotator Cuff Exercises
- Top 10 Ways To Avoid Injury
HOT TIP: Warming up and practicing lifting form is one of the most crucial part of a workout, and a great step in preventing injuries.
24. How to workout after an injury
Back, shoulder, legs, knees, muscles; all of these are prone to injuries. You don’t want to make your injuries worse but you also don’t want to lose the habit of lifting. Here’s a few resources that teach you how you can lift if you have an injury.
- 10 Tips For Injury Work-Arounds
- 5 Ways To Make Bench Press More Shoulder Friendly
- I Have A Shoulder Injury. What Exercises Can I Do?
- Working Around Injuries
- Building Muscle Despite Shoulder Pain And Shoulder Injuries
- 9 Strategies To Train Around Lower Body Pain
- You'll Never Squat Again: Why Physical Therapists And Doctors Should Learn Some Bio-mechanics
25. Speed Up Muscle Growth With Proper Recovery
Recovery, growth and progress are all factors into how far you can take your muscle gains.
Learn from these resources that will help you understand recovery.
- 9 Powerful Methods That Can Help You Recover... Even With A Busy Lifestyle
- How Long Does It Take Muscles To Recover When Bodybuilding?
- The Proper Recovery Tips For Bodybuilders
- 7 Bodybuilding Sleep Tips For Better Rest And Recovery
- 6 Ways You're Stopping Yourself From Building Muscle
- Importance Of Sleep For Muscle Growth
- How To Sleep Your Way To Big Muscles
- Sleep, Fat, Muscle, And Bodybuilding
26. Deloading: A Secret Weapon For Maximum Muscle Growth
Recovery, growth and progress are all factors into how far you can take your muscle gains.
Learn from these resources that will help you understand recovery.
27. How To Avoid Overtraining
Overtraining is more common than you think, and most people mistake it as a good thing.
As a natural bodybuilder, overtraining can be one of the main reasons why you aren't growing. Learn from these resources on how you can prevent it and what you can do to fix it if you've already fallen victim to it.
28. Feeling Sick: Should You Workout?
Being sick isn’t easy and depending on how sick you are, it can really take a toll out of your body.
You’ll learn how to determine if you can workout if you don’t feel well.
29. Mindset & Motivation: Everything You Need To Know
Motivation and being in the right mindset can take you miles ahead into your progress. You need to know how you can stay motivated, but most importantly, how you can remain in that hungry mindset that bodybuilders are known to require.
- Taking Your Training Further - How Mindfulness And Visualization Can Get You There
- The Truth About Visualization And Bodybuilding
- How To Become Mentally Strong In The Fact Of Training Adversity
- The Most Powerful Training Tool
- Mental Approach - The Most Overlooked Factor Of Bodybuilding
- 20 Mental Strategies For Bodybuilding Success
- The Ten Golden Rules Of Bodybuilding
- 5 Things We Can Learn From Arnold About Building Muscle
- How To Gain More Muscle Without Even Thinking About It
- Lifting Weights: Dealing With Low Motivation
30. Get Inspired By Real Life Stories And Transformations
You want to know if there are other people like yourself that have gone through what you plan to go through so you don’t waste time. You fear failure, but that’s a part of human nature. Here’s a few resources of transformations and inspiring stories that will take you from skinny to the beast that you’ve always dreamed of becoming.
31. Steroids And Bodybuilding: Do You Need 'Roids?
Steroids are a hot topic in bodybuilding but it is also the most abused in the sport. It isn’t the answer to muscle gains as you still need to workout.
Being a natural bodybuilder I am glad I can say you really don’t need steroids. It is hard to define natural but steroids are a serious topic that needs to be taught and understood. It isn’t a secret that it is out there.
So here are a few resources that you can learn from about the broad topic.
- Levels Of Development In Natural Bodybuilding
- Maximum Muscular Potential Of Drug-Free Athletes
- Bodybuilder's Guide To Acne-Free Skin And Big Gains
- The Best Natural Bodybuilders Of All Time (Trolling)
- Top 5 YouTube Channels Of Actual Natural Body-Builders
- What Is Natural Bodybuilding, Really
- How To Spot A Steroid User
HOT TIP: No matter how much roids you pump into yourself, you can never outdo someone as genetically gifted as Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman (unless of course you're genetically gifted like they are!).
32. Best Supplements To Take And Guides
Learn the ABC’s of supplements before you walk into another GNC. You may be better off buying them from the internet as you get a better selection and you are sometimes lied to by sales people who are driven by commissions.
You’ll learn from these resources about supplements and what really works.
- 6 Workout Supplements For The Beginner
- 5 Best Supplements For Muscle Gain
- Workout Supplements: Do You Really Need Them?
- How To Build Muscle Without Supplements
- Top Protein Picks: The Ultimate Guide To Protein Powders For Muscle Growth
- Caffeine As A Bodybuilding Supplement
- What Supplements Should I Take?
- A Guide To Workout Supplements That Probably Won't Kill You
33. The Truth And Myths Of Bodybuilding Supplements
You’ll be surprised to learn that not all supplements that are constantly recommended are necessary. Some people love spending more on supplements than on food. But the truth is, supplements are only to supplement your diet.
If you’re not getting enough protein and you don’t have time to prepare meals, obviously a protein powder can go a long ways in helping you but it shouldn’t take over your diet.
34. Creatine: What Is It And Is It Safe?
Creatine is one of the most studied and proven ingredients in the supplement industry. Companies are always coming out with new forms of it promising more effieceny or gains. The truth is, nothing will ever beat creatine monohydrate. Creatine nitrate might be the next best thing, but here are a few resources to get a second opionon if you like…
35. Should You Take Pre Workouts?
Pre workouts help put you and your mind into the zone. It energizes, stimulates, and pushes you to the next level. Too much of a good thing though can be bad. Stimulants in pre workouts are always increasing and the need to take breaks are always on the rise.
Here are a few resources to teach you what you need to know about pre workout supplements.
HOT TIP: Pre workouts with full doses of ingredients will always be superior to those pre’s with mini doses of pixie dust.
36. How To Maximize The Muscle Pump
Whether you’re going on vacation or hitting the club you’ll want to learn how you can look jacked even when you’re not in the gym.
Learn from these resources that will teach you how you can pump up your muscles.
37. Muscle Building Workouts For Various Levels
You’re just starting out and you have no idea how to start. Here are some workouts that are perfect for your level of fitness.
- When Should A Beginner Move To An Intermediate Workout Routine?
- You're No Longer A Beginner: Intermediate Training
- Jim Stoppani's 12-Week Beginner Bodybuilding Plan
- The 4-Week Beginner's Workout Routine
- 10 Week Mass Building Program
- 8x8 Workout: Shock Your Muscles Into Growth
- Build Muscle Fast - Five Workouts That Build Muscle And Mass Fast
- The Beginners Workout: Top Muscle Building Moves
- Beginner Workouts - Best Workout Routines For Beginners
- Hybrid Density Training: The Best Fat Loss Workout You're Not Doing
- Advanced Bodybuilder Workout
- Top 20 Bodyweight Exercises For Building Muscle & Strength
- Calisthenics Exercises: The Complete List
- Simply huge: Muscle Growth Workout Routine
- The Hercules Workout: A Three-Days-Per-Week Full-Body Program With A Twist
- Is A Full Body Workout Routine For You? Probably Not
38. Other Bodybuilding Guides
The How to build muscle guide isn’t the only bodybuilding guide available on the net, here’s some more that you might want to take a look at.
39. Bodybuilding resources
- Calorie Counter
- The Ultimate Muscle Building Split Reference Guide
- Anatomy & Exercises
- The Lift List: All The Best Lifting Websites
- Nutrition Tools And Calculators
- Muscle Gain Calculator
- Tools - Muscle And Brawn
- Printable Workout Logs
- Workout Calculator
- Best Excel Sheet Diet Plan
- Workout Planner Spreadsheet
The Ultimate Guide to Bodybuilding has hopefully provided you everything you need to start creating workouts that will help gain muscle, get tons of ideas for fresh workouts, help you get motivated and get you on track to obtaining that ripped body you’ve been chasing after.
Please share this guide on your favorite social media network using the buttons below now if you have found this useful and leave a comment below.